A massive field of 1,087 players turned up for the World Series of Poker Circuit Harrah’s Cherokee $1,700 Main Event. A total prize pool of $1.6 million was up for grabs with 117 paid places. Among the notable players who cashed were Greg Raymer, Jared Jaffee, Allen Kessler and Calvin Anderson.
The top prize of $300,536 went to 40-year-old Pennsylvanian poker pro Jonas Wezler. This was Wezler’s biggest cash to date and he now has over $1 million in live tournament earnings! It was also his second win of a WSOPC event, after winning a $345 buy-in event at Harrah’s Chester in 2011.
“I never think I’m gonna win,” Wexler told WSOP reporters after the victory. “I’ve been playing for so long and just felt like I don’t break through. I try not to think about the end result either, but in my mind I always think something shitty is gonna happen. Fortunately today I did some shitty things to other people.”
Final Table Results:
1. Jonas Wexler Southampton, Pennsylvania $300,536 + $1 million Global Casino Championship seat*
2. Phil Hernz Plantation, Florida $185,628
3. Spencer Champlin Scarborough, Maine $137,936
4. Steven Grybas Las Vegas , Nevada $103,749
5. Amy Patel Lilburn, Georgia $78,997
6. Andrew McIlvain Brentwood, Tennessee $60,866
7. Dennis Brand Sugar Land, Texas $47,444
8. Noah Shefrin — $37,399
9. Aaron Gunn — $29,807
*a 3-day tournament scheduled for August 6-8 at Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort in Cherokee, North Carolina. As the name suggest, 1 million dollars is guaranteed by the organizers.